Whether you want to relax and enjoy beautiful landscapes or immerse yourself in the local scene, there is much to see and do in Beaufort!
- This event has passed.
35th Annual Penn Center Heritage Days Celebration
November 9, 2017 - November 12, 2017
Heritage Days Celebration is a four-day cultural event celebrating the Gullah/Geechee/Sea Island history, folk arts, food, music, crafts and West African cultural legacy.
Located at Penn Center—formerly the Penn School, one of the first schools for former slaves and their descendants living on St. Helena Island—visitors can experience the unique setting of the 50-acre historic campus of Penn Center.
Special events for the weekend include demonstrations of West African/Gullah cultural connections, including:
- Live demonstrations of sweetgrass basket making and net making
- Gullah storytellers and re-enactors
- Singers, African drummers, and dancers
- Educational Symposium
- Center stage entertainment
- A craft fair, parade, fish fry, and old school jam
- Youth & Family Day with lots of educational “fun fuh de chillun and famlee” (fun for the children and family).